- Ripe nasturtium seed pods – enough to fill a few small jars.
- Brine – 50g salt dissolved in 600ml water
- Vinegar – cider vinegar or white wine vinegar is best
- Herbs – a bay leaf for every jar, or sprig of dill, and a few peppercorns
- Pick the seed pods on a dry day and put them in a bowl with the brine and leave over night.
- Drain the pods and dry them well.
- Pack them into small jars with the herbs leaving a gap of about 1cm at the top of each jar to ensure they are properly covered with vinegar.
- Cover with cold vinegar and seal with vinegar proof lids.
- Store for a few weeks before using.