Enough beetroot to fill the pots you have. Small beetroot are best, but you can use larger beetroot and slice them before adding to the jar – I usually make about 2Kg at a time.
Enough spiced vinegar to cover.
Making Pickled Beetroot
- Wash the beetroot well, but make sure you leave the skins intact (otherwise they will loose some of their colour).
- Gently boil them for about 1 ½ hours until they are tender, then drain them and leave them to cool.
- Once cool, rub off their skins and then slice into 5mm slices if using larger roots.
- Pack into jars, and add a little sugar if you prefer a sweeter pickle,
- Then you can either cover with cold spiced vinegar and seal the jars (use within 2 months), or for a longer storage life bring the vinegar to boil before adding to the jars and sealing (will last a long time, but best used within 6-9 months).