Ingredients (to make about 1litre)
- 250ml strained orange juice (Seville oranges are best)
- 50ml strained lemon juice
- 600ml Rum or Brandy
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 300g granulated sugar
Making your shrub
- Mix the juice, rum or brandy, and zest in a wide necked jar (I use a wide necked clipped top jar for the purpose). If mixing the alcohol and juice forms a gel don't worry this will disappear when we add the sugar.
- Store in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.
- Dissolve the sugar in 250ml water, and allow to cool, then add to the mixture.
- Strain the mixture using a sheet of musiln or jelly bag, and decant into sterilised bottles.
- Seal the bottles and store in a cool dark place for several months.