- 1 Kg young nettle tips
- 450g malt extract
- 4 lt of water
- Brewers yeast
Making Nettle Beer
- Put the nettles into a large pan with the water and bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 mins.
- Pour the malt extract into a fermenting bin, and the strain the nettle water onto this and stir until dissolved.
- Cover and leave to cool, and then add the yeast.
- Keep covered and stir daily for a week, then siphon into a fermenting jar and seal with an airlock.
- Leave the beer for another week until fairly clear then siphon into clean sterilised beer or pop bottles leaving a space of about 1 inch at the top of each bottle.
- Add 1/4 tsp sugar to each bottle then seal.
- Leave in a warm place for a week or so, then store in a cool place for another 3-4 weeks before drinking.