We all know that industrial estates and skips are probably the best place to source your pallets and Freecycle is a great place for free greenhouses, but where do you get other allotment bits and bobs?
Where do you get your scaffolding netting or hard core for your shed base? Let’s start a dialogue amongst ourselves to identify, where we can get those things that we want for our plots, whilst paying as little as possible or even less!
We will start the ball rolling with ten ideas, please feel free to chip in with more
1. Eggshells for snail/slug barriers. Go to your local café and ask them to keep some for you
2. Local stables for manure
3. Bicycle shops for large pieces of cardboard for covering your beds
4. Local supermarkets for the small mushroom crates to use for grouping your plant pots in the greenhouse
5. Neighbours for grass clippings, a bag of runner beans in return always helps
6. Tree surgeons for shreddings for allotment pathways
7. Council staff for bags of swept up leaves for leafmould
8. Scaffolding companies for old boards and netting
9. Glaziers for removed frames for coldframes/shed windows
10. Supermarkets for the containers the fresh flowers come in, ideal for growing chillies etc. in your greenhouse
Feel free to be quite specific, naming individual shops, stables and council departments etc. as we have quite a large following and you may, be helping one of your allotment neighbours
Okay, get typing, thanks for reading